On 6th May 1905, the gentlemen of the Royal North of Ireland Yacht Club, Cultra
gathered at the estate of Mr. Robert Kennedy for a motoring hillclimb event, on a
circular course, in the grounds. It became an annual feature of the RNIYC season
until the outbreak of the First World War. Between 1920 and 1930 it was run over
various courses in the Cultra and Craigavad areas. In 1931 the Cultra Hill-Climb
moved to the Creighton’s Green Road nearer Holywood and was renamed Croft
Hillclimb, which was “gifted” to the TSCC in 1989 thereby establishing the link
between the Club and the Hillclimb. The Kennedy estate was subsequently gifted to
the Nation and became the site of the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum. These
facts gleaned from the archives of the Co.Down Spectator and other sources gave
us the evidence that, with the revival of this event on 1st April 2000, we became the
oldest active hillclimb venue in the World. In 2003 Cultra Hillclimb provided the
competitive speed element for the UVCC Ards TT 75th Anniversary Celebrations and
in 2005 became the first event to celebrate a centenary at its’ original venue.
More information, regulations, entry forms, photos, videos and reports can be viewed here.